Match Report

South Bank 7s v Merton 7s


Glorious day, but cold… as in ‘bloody cold’. Off we go to south bank, trying to keep our 1 game unbeaten run going, the stats don’t look good, 2 wins in the last 10 and sitting 2nd from bottom.

The 7s are once again missing Kieran, who’s reportedly been kidnapped by the ‘Bar’ fairies at the local tavern, so in good old 7s fashion, we wing it with a few 4s and 6s!

Starting well with a 4-4-2, the 7s take the game to south bank, 2 early misses by Billy are soon forgotten when his third shot on target is parred into the path of Luke who calmly slots home from 20 yards for a well-deserved 0-1 lead

Still on top, and some good probing runs from the 7s ‘wing backs’, these producing further chances which go begging. Any SB7s attack is being well defended by the back 4, which in turn is being marshalled by the in-form Steve B, so it was to no surprise that the lead is doubled after some good work from Niall on the left wing, who picks Billy out with a great cross that see him volley in at the far post. 0-2

Half time and some minor reshuffles see the 7s start slow, not long into the half, a static team watch as Martin, who had a good game, is beaten by an unchallenged shot inside the area 1-2

1 becomes 2 when once again, South Bank work a good goal and Martin is left exposed, the old jitters are creeping in and an uncharacteristic mistake by Luke sees him back pass to a South Bank player to make 3-2

Trying to steady the ship, the 7s press and create a few chances that go begging, notably a free kick is floated in the danger area, which is skied over the bar from 8 yards, unchallenged!

South Banks are now playing with confidence and further good work from a counter attack see number 4 roll pass the stranded Martin, who was at no fault.

Still pressing, the 7s break away, Billy gets free and using his pace steals a yard on the defender, but before he can get the shot off, he has his heels clipped and at full pace, takes a serious tumble in the area, this results in a penalty. Billy however, must go off due to the injury and the reasonability goes to Niall to bring the 7s back in the game. Unfortunately, the keeper guesses correct and manages to get a good hand on the ball to keep the scores at 4-2

In the final 15 minutes, South bank break, and from a good 20 yards, pings a dipping shot into the top corner that not even 2 keepers could keep out..

So, in a nut shell, a game of 2 half’s, and they were much better in the second half than the Merton 7s.


MOTM: Steve Burchell, never stopped trying.

DOTD: Luke Pellet, was having a great game till his dodgy back pass or 2! 


Posted in Match Reports 7s