14th January 2018

Merton Under 9s                        5
Moormead                                      4

Goal Scorers                                   David  2
                                                                Louis 2

MOM                                                  David

First home game of the year, the weather was kind in the week, which allowed the pitch to be playable. Goals ready, both teams arriving with plenty of time for a warm up.  Neal gathered the boys in a circle for some stretches.  With plenty of time to spare Lauren and Archie were able to get the tea and coffee ready for the parents. Now I forgot to mention that Paul got the hot beverages at last week’s game, it was only right that his misses got this week’s.  Grand total of 6 hot drinks were needed, Archie and Lauren needn’t have worried about the queues of parents.

Not a full squad this week, Percy falling ill Saturday night and not recovering.  Elz was the ref this week and got the game off promptly. Line up this week was Max between the sticks and captain for the game. Harry the lonesome defender, midfield three of David, Joe and Louis, with Faris and Archie up top.  Ollie and Lewis on the bench. 

Both teams started well creating chances at both ends.  But the opposition had the upper hand in the first half getting us on the break and taking advantage of Harry, on his own at the back.  Max did pull off his usual great saves but Moormead went 2 up in the first half.  We did have a couple of chances but couldn’t find the back of the next, one of them being Ollie’s first touch of the ball and unlucky not to score.  I wouldn’t say we played bad in the first half but definitely need to up the work rate in the 2nd half.

The boys gathered drinks at half time and listened to Neal and what he required in the 2nd half.  Whatever was said work because the second half the boys came alive.  The boys had more hunger for the ball, more energy and more belief that they could win this match.  Our first goal came from a ball across the goal mouth, for Louis to slot it into the net.  The boys gathered themselves and went again, continuing to press.  Lewis levelled the game with a free kick which went low, through the wall and beyond the keeper.  The next goal made the game, David not only scoring a fabulous goal, but deservingly getting his long awaited first goal for the team.  I won’t go on how it was scored as we have video evidence how it was created and scored. 

What was notice from the video by the coach was how many commands could be heard from the parents from the sideline.  This didn’t confuse David, as the only voice he probably heard was the sound of his mum saying ‘hit it’, and that was he did left foot, top bins. We definitely had more of the possession, but they levelled to make it 3 – 3.  Louis switched to up top, finished well for his second of the game to make it 4 – 3. David, Archie and Lewis worked well in midfield, closing down the oppo.  Couple of changes made, Faris and Ollie on for Archie and Joe.  Moormead had a couple of chances, including hitting the bar.  They managed again to level the match 4 – 4 with about 5 minutes remaining.  Again making video footage, David who worked his socks off the whole game got his brace and the winning goal to make it 5 – 4. 

This was a very exciting game to watch, all the boys walked off the pitch at the end of the game buzzing.  When it came to naming the man of the match although they all played out of their skins, there was only one player the boys could choose.  On the count of 3, the name David was shouted out. 

David MOM









I didn’t really make any observations on the side line as the game was too intense to miss any of the action.  Only that if hot drinks are available at next week’s game Paul is excluded from buying them!!

Next week’s game is away to Westside, luckily their home ground is a stone throw away from the Hood on Grand Drive.  If the boys played the way they did in the second half it should be a good contest.

Posted in Under 9s Reports