Merton really went on the ‘goal standard’ on Saturday when with three wins in four games they finished with an aggregate score of 20-6. Foremost in merit was the fine 6-0 victory of the first eleven against Old Lyonians. The reserves progressed into the quarter-finals of the AFA Surrey Junior Cup at the expense of Bank Line by 6-2, while the third team defeated Old Fincunians 7-1 in the AFA Minor Cup. Only black spot was the home defeat 1-3 of the fourth team at the hands of Catford Wanderers in the AFA Novets Cup.

At Pinner the first eleven met with the anticipated heavy going but adapted themselves to the conditions better than the home side. Wing-halves Barker and Fitzpatrick initiated attack after attack before Meads, cutting in from the wing banged home a fine shot from outside the box to give Merton the lead they deserved.

The same player scored a similar goal soon afterwards after Barker had carved the opening. King was revelling in the conditions and with the backing of Fitzpatrick split the home defence for Barrett to add to the score. Breaking away Merton went further ahead. Barker dribbling through before touching the ball home from an acute angle. Maynard’s bustling was a constant menace to the Lyonians’ defence and from one of his runs Houston headed against the bar for Barrett to bang home the rebound. Meads completed the rout and his own hat-trick with a replica of his earlier goals.

In the reserves’ victory at Chessington there was a genuine (three-in-a-row) hat-trick from Price. On a postage stamp of a pitch Merton were a goal down in three minutes but quickly adapted their style and equalised in 11 minutes when Hope headed home a corner from Crawford.

The visitors took the lead immediately when Hope put Price through for a fine goal. Meeting a short Crawford corner Price banged home an angled shot and repeated the dose soon afterwards, hitting first time a mistimed clearance. The same player was again on the mark and within 12 minutes Merton had gone from being in arrears to a 5-1 lead.

Crawford increased the advantage after a fine solo run with Merton’s depleted defence withstanding considerable pressure until a penalty award gave Bank Line a consolation goal five minutes from time.

A further hat-trick was recorded by Applegate in the Merton III XI win against Old Fincunians at Finchley. Other goals came from Harding, Burgess, Coppock and Fitzpatrick.

At the John Innes ground, Merton IV XI departed from the AFA Novets Cup at the hands of Catford Wanderers.

Merton & Morden News, December 12th 1958



This tie was decided on the Nottingham Forest ground, and ended in a well-deserved victory for Merton by four goals to love. Magdala fielded full strength, while Merton were without their right-back, Adams, Perkins coming in at left-back, Walker crossing over, and Haynes figuring at inside-right in place of Larkworthy.

At the start Merton had the wind and drizzling rain against them, and this militated against accurate play, the goalies especially finding difficulty in handling the ball. The visitors at once attacked, but nothing resulted, and soon Boulden was called upon, the Nott’s centre-half sending in a beauty that was tipped over the bar. The corner proved fruitless, and Merton were soon at the other end, where Marlow beat the defence and had the goal at his mercy, missing by inches only. After twelve minutes, however, Goodens registered the first goal for Merton from Garner’s well-placed corner. At this period Magdala were being well held, and after twenty minutes play Garner sent in a beauty, which was fielded by Wootton, who was bundled with the ball into the net by Marlow. After this the Nott’s team improved, but found the Merton defence well nigh impregnable. Half-time arrived with the visitors two up.

The second half, although well contested, showed the visitors superior in all departments, and after fourteen minutes play, Williamson, with an overhead kick netted the third from another corner taken from Garner. Magdala now played, but found the visitors’ defence too sound for them to gain any advantage, Oldershaw being cleverly robbed by Perkins as he was about to shoot. After this Merton again took up the attack, although it was fifteen minutes from the end before Short got the best goal of the match with a first time shot from Williamson’s corner-kick. Just after this Goodens sent in a lovely ground shot but Wootton made a wonderful save when all expected to see the ball go into the net. There was no more scoring, and Merton won a well-deserved victory, the pace and mastery of the ball surprising the home side.

For Merton, Walker, in an unaccustomed position, was the outstanding figure in a defence that left little to be desired. In the AFA Final tie, which will be played at the Ilford ground on April 10th, Merton will be opposed by Civil Service, who beat Aquarius 6-0 at the Merton ground. For this match Merton supporters are booking all the charabancs in the neighbourhood. Merton reserves had to cancel their game with Long Grove at Epsom on Saturday, owing to the number of players on the sick list and the many first team call-ups.

Wimbledon News, Friday March 19th 1920



These teams met on Saturday at Dulwich, and a most enjoyable game was the result. Merton were not fully represented but even so the side combined well, and the final score of 4-2 against them was hardly a true reflex of the play.

The game opened with the Merton forwards invading their opponents half, but the ball, bobbling about in front of goal, was eventually cleared by one of the Townley Park backs. The home vanguard then executed a pretty movement, which culminated in a goal being scored. The Merton goalie might easily have saved, but he was evidently under the impression that the referee had sounded for ‘offside.’ The Townley Park forwards hereabout were much smarter on the ball, and gave their opponents’ defence a warm time, as will be seen by the fact that three more goals were scored, Chapman having no chance with any of the shots. The Merton team played pluckily after this heavy reverse and their efforts at last were crowned with success. ‘Tiny’ Paish worked his way through, and made a fine opening for Robins, who had no difficulty in netting the ball, half-time arriving with the score Townley Park 4, Merton 1.

In the second half a complete change came over the game, Merton being more aggressive and seeming to last much better than their opponents. Time and again the Merton quintet swept down on the Townley goal, and, but for a dashing display on the part of the homesters’ centre-half, there would certainly have been some tall scoring. As it was, Robins again succeeded in finding the net with a regular pile driver, after cleverly dribbling through on his own. He played a splendid game throughout, and although at times he appeared to neglect his wings, it must be said in extenuation that he often found himself quite unsupported, his passes thus being thrown away. With the score 4-2, both sides now entered a ding-dong struggle, and Chapman was seen to advantage, several of his saves being of quite a high order. However, there was no further scoring, and the whistle sounded with Townley Park winners by 4 goals to 2.

Where the whole team played so well, it is perhaps invidious to make distinctions, but mention should be made of the fine work done by Nickels at right-back. His tackling was superb, and if his kicking was hardly strong enough, it must be borne in mind that he usually operates at centre-half and was therefore playing in an unaccustomed position. The left-back, ‘Tiny Paish, was also in happy mood, as was his brother Percy, who, playing in the half-line, again showed that he revels in a bustling game. Of the forwards, Robins, particularly by reason of his two goals, was the most conspicuous, and Mann and Harris on the right-wing were triers. Mann has a fine turn of speed, and with a little more experience should develop into a useful player.

Wimbledon Borough News, Saturday October 1st 1910.