4s vs Old Blues 3s – 10.10.2018
Old Blues 3s vs. Merton 4s
ISEH Intermediate Novets Cup, Round 2
Saturday 10th October 2018
With this match report being drafted nearly two weeks late, I apologise in advance for lack of detail.
The apology is justified as bullet points are all I can muster up to provide an outline of how the game went.
- Our opposition in Round 2 of the SAL Cup hailed from Richmond and were in the form of Old Blues, a team situated in the league below us however having a decent start to the season having played 3, winning twice and losing once.
- Old Blues went ahead through only for Dom Plumridge to equalised half way through the first half. Old Blues retained the league going into the break.
- Old Blues increased their margin by two. It was at this point that we introduced Andrew Stears into the game which proved to be a game changer.
- With 10 minutes to go Merton were awarded a penalty after a handball decision went against the hosts. Up stepped Dom to convert from the spot to make it a very interesting conclusion to the game.
- Merton skipper receives a yellow card for persistent fouling. A sign of frustration.
- Merton hard work pays off when Andrew Minkevich unleashes a first footed half-volley that hit the bag of the onion bag with only a couple of minutes to go taking the game into extra time.
- Nothing happened in extra time which meant penalties.
- Merton won the toss and selection Old Blues to kick first.
- Old Blues 1st Penalty – Scored!
- Merton 1st Penalty (Dom Plumridge) – Saved!
- Old Blue 2nd Penalty – Saved by Kieran!
- Merton 2nd Penalty (Denys Zhurbiy) – Scored!
- Old Blues 3rd Penalty – Scored!
- Merton 3rd Penalty (Roman Bilivskyi) – Scored! JUST!
- Old Blues 4th Penalty – Scored!
- Merton 4th Penalty (John Gridley) – Scored!
- Old Blues 5th Penalty – Scored!
- Merton 5th Penalty (Edward Plaistow) – Scored!
- Sudden Death!
- Old Blues 6th Penalty – Scored!
- Merton 6th Penalty (Andrew Stears) – Scored!
- Old Blues 7th Penalty – Missed! Blazed over the bar.
- Merton 7th Penalty (Andrew Minkevich) – Scored!
- Having won the shootout 6-5, it was Merton that progress to the Quarter-Finals where Polytechnic 7s lie in wait.
- If we switch off like we did in the first half of this game, the cup run will surely end in the next round.
FINAL SCORE: Old Blues 3s 3 – 3 Merton 4s – Merton win 6-5 on penalties.
SCORER(S): Dom Plumridge (2) and Andrew Minkevich
MOTM: Dom Plumridge – A solid performance once again. Tom Johnson was a close shout along with Andree Stears.
DOTD: Edward Plaistow – Picked up a yellow card and committed a foul throw
STARTING LINE-UP: Kieran Lee (GK), Edward Plaistow (Capt.), Tom Johnson, John Gridley, Thomas Murphy, Callum Fisher, Roman Bilivitskiy (Andrew Stears), Andrew Minkevich, Sam Spiers, Dom Plumridge, Denys Zhurbiy