After a very productive pre season and some very good results, Merton 3rd XI were looking for a positive start to the league campaign. With a couple of late drop-outs it wasn’t the most ideal start to the season, but nevertheless, made 2 late call-ups from the 4th XI and managed to field a team with 2 subs. This meant a reshuffle of the starting line up, but knew we had the quality to fill in where necessary.

The match began very well for us and we threatened the Wierside defence on many occasions but just not being able to test the keeper enough. Some great play from our midfielders enabled the Wierside game to be broken down effectively and managed to resort them tojust 1 shot which Tommy Saville was able to make a very smart save down to his left.

With about 30 mins gone David O’Neill managed to break down the play and play a great ball through the channel and Thomas Taylor worked hard to place the ball around the keeper and into the back of the net. 1-0 Merton. Some excellent tackles and work rate by the Outred brothers kept Wierside’s wingers at bay for the rest of the 1st half.

Half time felt good and lots of water taken on board. Some wise words spoken by our captain Dean Wilkinson, and everyone was readyto go for the 2nd half.

2nd half was a lot of the same, midfielders working hard for eachother and the back 4 being under control for the most part. We were getting the ball down and playing those “simple 5 yard balls” as the skipper would say. This was causing the opposition all sorts of problems and just could not handle the pace of Dulanie Richards down the right wing. Chances were being created, but some excellent goalkeeping denied Thomas Taylor of a flurry of goals. Chris Outred also coming very close. All we really needed now was that 2nd goal, but unfortunately with what I can recall as Wierside’s only real chance in the 2nd half, a wonder strike flew in the top corner. 1-1.

Both teams could have nicked the win late on, but Wierside came the closest with a shot which Daniel Outred headered off the line. The whistle went and the game had finished 1-1.

There was some disappointment at the end of the match, but still lots of positives to be taken from this game for the rest of the season.

Team: Tommy Saville, Richard Prospere, Daniel Outred, Toby Palm, Glen Porter, David O’Neill, Dean Wilkinson(c), Ricardo Iglesias, Dulanie Richards, Chris Outred, Thomas Taylor. Subs: Dean Porter, Dan Smith

MOM:Daniel Outred

Report by:Glen Porter

Posted in Match Reports 3s