Player Profile – Andy Williams
NAME: Andy Williams
POSITION: right back
BIRTH DATE: 12/7/85
BIRTH PLACE: Ipswich
PREVIOUS CLUBS: Queens Park (Sydney, no affiliation)
1. Tell us who you are outside of the club. What do you do, how would you describe yourself?
Well I’ve just got back from 6 years in Sydney and am currently homeless and unemployed! Bit of a catch I know…
2. How did you end up at Merton FC?
I did the sensible thing and prioritised finding a footy team over a place to live and a job so my mate put me in touch with Ryan. Despite telling him I hadn’t kicked a ball for a year I couldn’t believe how friendly and enthusiastic he was for me to join. I only found out about the £50 referral bonus later!
3. What do you like most about Merton FC?
Everyone is very polite about my pathetic fitness and first touch.
4. If you could play for a professional team, which would be it and why?
The 90s Arsenal team with Adams, Merson & Parlour. Pretty impressive to get on it every night and still do the double!
5. Do you have any pre-match rituals or superstitions?
I’m normally too late to have time for any of that
6. Lastly, share us your goals/expectations for the season.
We got off to a great start and no reason we can’t top the league with this group of players.
Favourite Player (at Merton, or in professional football):
Steve Ogrizovic, my doppelgänger
Childhood Team: Ipswich
Favourite team in the UK: gotta stick with Ipswich unfortunately
Favourite team outside the UK: Barca
Childhood Hero: Jenna Jameson
Favourite Food: mum’s Sunday roast!
Favourite Drink: really not fussy!
Favourite Band: used to be into Oasis and Arctic Monkeys type of music. Don’t listen to too many bands anymore though.