Merton FC 1-2 kingstonians

Excellent performance that ultimately ended in a defeat for a hardworking and battling side today.

The team had to regroup and start again following the result last week and message of the day was to get the enjoyment back in the team, and have fun playing football.

We made a solid start despite kingstonians having a lot of the ball. Holding strong under immense pressure at times, whilst kingstonians knocked the ball around at comefortable ease.

We nicked a goal and took a 1-0 lead, albeit against the run of play, but something that we had worked hard for. Bradley applying the finishing touch after the ball bobbled around in the area. Following the goal we continued to battle and could have had 2 or 3 more goals had we taken our chances.
A free kick was given 5 yards in our half, not much danger for us; or so it seemed! There skipper pulling out a cracking free kick that flew past estaban in goal.

1-1 and it was game on, an even contest that both teams battled for the upper hand in.

2nd half and we continued to play well, battling and showing our quality when we had the ball. Challenge from last weekend was to create more chances than we did last time, and we did. Continuing to create chances, and getting closer to their goal.

Midway through the 2nd half, Jake running in on goal. K’s goalkeeper came rushing out and handled outside his area. Ks were rattled and Merton carried on pushing for the second goal.

We began to run out of ideas and ks began to increase the pressure on our goal.
We continued to battle and hold out until 79th minute. When we lost our player in the box and he fired in the winner. Undeserved winner – couldn’t be prouder of our players for their attitude and battling spirit.

Massive well done to all players, great attitude and spirit. Especially when opposition challenged the respect campaign to its boundaries!! Keeping our heads and continuing to do what we do best.

Well done lads. Up the Merton

Posted in Under 15s Reports