Match Report – 06/01/2018 vs Old Wilsonians 6 AWAY

It was the first game back since he Xmas break and time would tell how we would perform after all the food and drink that had been consumed (well in my case anyway!). On we marched to OLD WILSONIANS and we was hoping to put the pressure on Actonians with a win.  Spirits were high as we had just witnessed the three’s beat their Wilsonians team 2-1.  Availability was again on the low side with Ty entertaining his Mrs, whilst the Sreizder twins seem to only play when the weather is nice :o)

Anyway onto the game and we gave another Merton debut to Ross and with Lewis returning we were still quite a strong side.  Fitz stepped into goal to aid the recovery of Swanny.

In regards to the game it was a fiercely competitive game, as it always against Wilsonians.  A few familiar faces from when we played the fives remained and this meant we had to be on our game.

As anticipated we was a bit rusty but the defence stood strong with some meaty tackles flying in from the back four.

As the game settled down we got into our stride and started to produce chances.  Although Spence thought he played for Wilsonians and gifted a back pass to their striker but this was saved by Fitz!  We should have had a couple of goals before George broke the deadlock and scored after racing through one on one.

Unfortunately we couldn’t hold onto the lead and the skipper made a mistake (which was harshly a reason for DOD)  and from a good switched pass, which was mis-judged let the right winger in and an inch perfect cross resulted in their striker volleying in from close range. Half time came and it was 1-1.

In the second half and Merton started the better team.  Pete should have scored within seconds of the restart but fluffed his lines.  Chances came and went, but Nick managed to slot home from close range to give us a 2-1 lead.  Wilsons heads dropped and almost immediately we scored again as Pete made amends with a cool finish.  As Wilsons tried to get back in the game, they started to put some flying tackles in which were a tad on the late side, but to be fair it got them going again.  Spence should have been penalised for bringing down their striker in the box, but the ref missed it (like a lot of things).

We managed to catch Wilsons on the break numerous time as they chased a way back and George finished off a nice move which rounded the keeper and slotted home from a tight angle.

The game finished 4-1, but not before one for the highlight reel when the skipper couldn’t continue due to cramp and tried to kick the ball out of play to come off but managed to find Callum with a great pass.

Man of the Match: The whole squad played really well and another battling performance!  Nominations were for Fitz, Chappell and George, but the winner was Ackers who controlled the game in the second half.

Dick of the Day:  This was a joint winner myself (skipper) for giving a goal away and for the cramp issue and Spence with his back pass and penalty incident!  We will have to work out a way to share the outfit this week!

Posted in Match Reports 6s