Player Profile – Dan Kelly
NAME: Dan Kelly
TEAM: Merton 2s
POSITION: Centre Forward
BIRTH DATE: 16/10/81
BIRTH PLACE: Great Yarmouth
PREVIOUS CLUBS: Couple of clubs back in York: Heslington XI, CPP, but Merton since 2005.
1. Tell us who you are outside of the club. What do you do, how would you describe yourself?
I work in market research which wrongly gets equated with me doing surveys. It’s not that exciting. I like to travel, be active (football, climbing, hiking) am basically super competitive about everything and anything.
2. How did you end up at Merton FC?
Moved to Wimbledon in 2005, googled and found Merton. Came down for training and Max got me into the 4s squad with Scicluna. Got myself a few goals early on and that was it really.
3. What was your best moment in your MFC career till now?
Winning the title with the 3s a few years back. And back to back club top scorer awards.
4. If you could play for a professional team, which would be it and why?
Super Tottenham from the Lane (although not for much longer)
5. Do you have any pre-match rituals or superstitions?
Never wear 7 or 10 (I don’t have the ball playing skills to back it up). Make sure you score in the warm up.
6. Lastly, share us your goals/expectations for the season.
Promotion with the 2s (although tough now) and finishing top scorer for them. Would love for the 3s to stay up as well – best of luck to them at the weekend
Player of the season (at Merton, or in professional football): Connor Murphy. Relentlessly solid.
Childhood Team: Spurs
Favourite team in the UK: Spurs
Favourite team outside the UK: There is football outside the UK?
Childhood Hero: Gary Lineker and for a brief phase I remember wanting to be Eddie the Eagle so much I almost drowned “ski jumping” into the sea.
Favourite Food: Pizza
Favourite Drink: Ale
Favourite Band: Pass.