U14 V Worcester Park Colts  – Score: 7-2


MOM: Kieron
Goalscorers: Fareed (3) Justin (2) Kieron (1) Theo (1)

The day started off brightly at the Hood for the first game of the new season. The game had a cagey opening with no clear-cut chances and a fair few broken passes as the teams adjusted to conditions and the new season. Worcester’s number 7 was their key man as he switched wings and looked to use his pace and skill to get in behind the fullbacks. For Merton Kieron was a constant threat as his touch and skill on the ball consistently brought his teammates into the game and allowed chances to materialize. After a great run by Kieron his ball across the box was just missed by debutant Fareed in what would have been a great early goal to settle the nerves. Minutes later Kieron again used his pace to get in behind, battling past two defenders and poking the ball under the keeper to make it 1-0. After a short spell of pressure Worcester equalized through a penalty after a tug on the shirt by McKenzie. Not to be deterred, Merton hit two goals in quick succession to go 3-1 up with great play between our two strikers leading to Fareed tapping into an empty net after Kieron’s shot was saved by the keeper. This was followed by a sweeping move across the pitch with Daniel and Fareed setting up Justin to rifle home. Shortly before half time Worcester managed to grab a goal back with the dangerous number 7 bombing down the wing and whipping in a cross which unluckily for Merton nestled in the top corner.
After halftime Merton began to assert their dominance with Nikoy and McKenzie doing an excellent job in stopping Worcester’s number 7. This allowed Merton’s attacking play to flourish and a succession of unanswered goals followed. The first came from Fared after more great holdup play in the centre of the park from Kieron and he showed great composure to take the ball into the box, round the keeper and slot home. A sustained spell of possession for Merton brought more fouls from Worcester Park that led to a free kick on the edge of the box and an opportunity for Theo to hit it hard into the roof of the net. Another foul led to a penalty that Andrei stepped up to take but this thumped the crossbar and the rebound was straight at the keeper.
However more goals followed for Merton and the goal of the day came from Justin who showed great perseverance on the wing to win the ball and take it past three men with skill before flashing it into the top corner. Fareed managed to cap his debut with a hat trick before the game was over with a low shot into the corner making it a 7-2 victory. Overall it was a great team performance, well refereed and a fair and enjoyable game.

Posted in Under 14s Reports