24th September 2017

Merton Under 9s             3
Twickenham Tigers         2

Goal scorers: Faris 2, Own Goal
MOM: David

Another home game for the under 9s against Twickenham Tigers.  Parents ensured players got there on time for a warm up and some practice set piece drills laid on by the coach.  Keys available this week for the changing room meant the goals were out nice and early, corner flags in, spectator fencing up and pitch inspection done.  Roy’s homemade poopa-scooper was needed for a few areas of fox/dog mess scattered about the pitch, believe you could see him on the next Dragon’s den with that creation!!

Formation of 231, starting line up of Max (GK), Archie (Captain for day, just like his dad the day before for Merton 6s) and Harry defence, midfield 3 of Ollie, Joe and Lewis with Faris up top.  On the bench were David and Louis.  Percy was missing this week, not giving up the opportunity of a free bar at a wedding this weekend. The boys started well passing the ball about between each other and getting the ball into the spaces and out wide.  We certainly look like we are forming a great team just after 2 games and boys all linking up nicely.  Max rushing out of area, not realising how far out he was palmed the ball away outside the area, referee awarded a free kick. The free kick on the edge of our box saw the first goal go in for the tigers 1 – 0.   Boys picked them self up and kicked off, continuing to press forward to get a goal back.  Lewis or as I have learnt from sideline nickname of Hazard didn’t stop running and trying to get goal he deserves. Faris again got us back level dribbling the ball about in the box and finding the net.  Couple of changes in the first half, David and Louie coming on for Ollie and Joe. That’s how it stayed until half time 1 – 1.

Second half and two changes, Archie and Harry off for Ollie and Joe.  The boys started the second half well and were playing really good football. They had chances but their goalie (a girl) was pulling off some excellent saves. We took the lead with Faris getting onto a long pass through their defence, goalie came out but Faris, left foot placed the ball into the bottom right of the goal, 2 – 1.  It could have been 2 – 2 with all players in their half the ball broke to 3 of their players running on to goal but sweeper Max came rushing out to clear the ball for a throw.  Archie and Harry back on for Faris and Lewis.  Again Max had a great day in goal pulling off some great saves.  We scored to make it 3 – 1, Harry getting the ball out left, cut back and passed to on running Ollie who shot but had it cleared, ball fell to Archie who hit the ball for it to come off one of their players and go beyond the diving keeper who tried to stop the ball but it went behind the line.  I thought this was Archie’s goal but having looked back at the footage filmed by Harry’s mum on sideline it was just an assist. The Tigers made the game interesting in the last 5 minutes getting a goal back to make it 3 – 2.  Final two subs back on Faris and Lewis for David and Louis. We held on, they had a couple of corners which we cleared. One moment at the end which made me laugh, we had a goal kick, oppo on the half way line, ball passed out by Max to our defender the Tigers shouted charge like Gladiators and ran towards the ball.  This led to the ball being played over the top to Faris who ran onto goal one on one with the keeper; hit the ball for it to hit the post.  Lewis followed in but couldn’t connect and get his goal he so deserved. That was the last moment of the match as the referee who had a good game blew the whistle. 3 – 2 to Merton and first win for the team.

This was a very good and exciting match to watch, which was end to end and had the nervous ending.  Next week’s game is away to local rivals Old Ruts Youth who we played in preseason.

Posted in Under 9s Reports